Once you are diagnosed with an eye disease, you might worry about how to handle it. At Tran Vision Center in Laredo, TX, we understand that managing macular degeneration can be difficult. Our experienced optometrists and technicians are equipped with the latest technology to help people with this condition. Learn more about how you can manage macular degeneration below.
What is Macular Degeneration?
Macular degeneration is a common, progressive eye condition that results in the gradual loss of central vision. It’s caused by damage to the macula, a small retina that is responsible for sharp, straight-ahead vision. Over time, this can cause blurry and distorted vision. Macular degeneration tends to affect people over 50, and the risk increases with age.
How is Macular Degeneration Diagnosed?
At Tran Vision Center, our Eye Doctor can perform a comprehensive eye exam to diagnose macular degeneration. This includes examining your eyes and vision tests to measure your ability to see detail near and far distances. Other tests may include dilating the pupils and taking photographs of the back of your eye to see any changes in the macula. We will determine the best treatment plan to manage your disease once you have been diagnosed.
Managing Macular Degeneration
There is no cure for macular degeneration, but you can manage the disease to live a normal life. Once diagnosed with macular degeneration, you must visit your eye doctor regularly. Early detection and treatment can help slow the progression of the disease. Other tips for managing macular degeneration include:
- Practicing good nutrition: Eating a well-balanced diet rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
- Regular monitoring: Routine eye exams can help delay the progression of macular degeneration.
- Exercising regularly: Exercise can help improve blood circulation and oxygen supply to your eyes, which helps reduce the risk of vision loss.
- Wearing sunglasses: Wearing sunglasses with UV protection will help reduce the risk of further damage to your eyes from direct sunlight.
- Quit smoking: Smoking increases the risk of macular degeneration and other vision-threatening diseases.
Contact Tran Vision Center in Laredo for Macular Degeneration Treatment
At Tran Vision Center, we understand how important it is to manage macular degeneration. Our optometrists are available for consultations and can provide the latest treatment options to help you maintain your eye health. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our eye doctors.